Books and Articles
Books on Bowen Theory
“The core of my theory has to do with the degree to which people are able to distinguish between the feeling process and the intellectual process."
For people who are interested in learning more about Bowen theory please see the list of books below. Please note Living Systems does not sell these books.
Classic Theory Books:
- Bowen, Murray. Family Therapy in Clinical Practice. New York. Jason Aronson, Inc. 1978.
- Gilbert, Roberta M. Eight concepts of Bowen Theory. Leading Systems Press; 2006
- Kerr, Michael, E. & Bowen, Murray. Family Evaluation: The Role of Family as an Emotional Unit That Governs Individual Behavior and Development. New York. W.W. Norton & Co., 1988.
- Papero, Daniel V. Bowen Family Systems Theory. Allyn and Bacon, Needham Heights, Mass. 1990.
- Gilbert, Roberta, M. Extraordinary Relationships: A New Way of Thinking About Human Interactions. Minneapolis. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1992.
- Gilbert, Roberta M. Connecting with Our Children. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Toronto, 1999.
- Lerner, Harriet. The Dance of Connection: How to Talk to Someone When You're Mad, Hurt, Scared, Frustrated, Insulted, Betrayed, or Desperate. HarperCollins Publishers, 2001.
- Richardson, Ronald W. Family Ties That Bind: A Self-Help Guide to Change through Family of Origin Therapy. Vancouver, Self-Council Press, 1984.
- Schnarch, David Passionate Marriage: Love, Sex, and Intimacy in Emotionally Committed Relationships. Owl Books (NY); Reprint edition, May 1, 1998.
- Brown, Jenny. Growing Yourself Up: How to bring your best to all of life's relationships. Exisle Publishing, 2012.
- Titelman, Peter, editor. Clinical Applications of Bowen Family Systems Theory. The Hawthorn Press, 1990
- Titelman, Peter, editor. Emotional Cutoff: Bowen Family Systems Perspectives. The Haworth Clinical Practice Press, An Imprint of the Haworth Press Inc., New York, 2003
- Titelman, Peter, editor. Triangles: Bowen Family Systems Theory Perspectives. The Hawthorn Press, 2007.
- Toman, Walter. Family Constellation, Its Effects on Personality and Social Behavior. Springer Publishing Co., New York,1961
- Bregman, Ona Cohn and White, Charles (Eds.). Bringing Systems Thinking to Life: Expanding the Horizons for Bowen Family Systems Theory. Routledge, 2010.
- Richardson, Ronald W. Couples in Conflict; A Family Systems Approach to Marriage Counseling. Fortress Press, 2010.
For the Workplace:
- Riley, Ruth & Wiseman, Kathleen Klaus. Understanding Organizations: Application of Bowen Family Systems Theory. Washington, DC. The Georgetown Family Centre, 1982.
- Richardson, Lois & Richardson, Ronald W. Birth Order and You: How Your Sex and Position in the Family Affects your Personality and Relationships. Vancouver, Self Council Press, 1990.
For your Church:
- Friedman, Edwin H. Generation to Generation: Family Process in Church and Synagogue. New York. The Guildford Press, 1985.
- Richardson, Ronald W. Creating A Healthier Church: Family Systems Theory, Leadership and Congregational Life. Fortress Press, Minneapolis, 1996.
- Richardson, Ronald W. Becoming A Healthier Pastor: Family Systems Theory and the Pastor's Own Family. Augsburg Fortress Publishers, 2004.
- Richardson, Ronald W. Polarization and the Healthier Church: Applying Bowen Family Systems Theory to Conflict and Change in Society and Congregational Life. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2012.
Visit www.thebowencenter.org for other Bowen Books
Read some of our newsletter articles below:
- Forgiveness & Systems Theory by Margaret Anne Speak, MA, CCC
- Thinking Systems About the Family Life Cycle by Andrea Kiss, MA, CCC
- Why Do So Many Marriages Fail? by Margaret Anne Speak, MA, CCC
- Measuring a Marriage's Emotional Fusion by Randy Frost, Mdiv, RCC
- The Relational Brain by Lois Walker, RCC
- Play Therapy by Mary Frost, RCC
- Your Brain and the Emotional Systems by Mark Smith, MSW, RSW
- Finance and Fear, Fact or Fiction? by David Galloway
- The Family as an Emotional Unit by Randal Frost, RCC
- Triangles in the Workplace by David Galloway
- Becoming Your Best by Margaret Anne Speak
- Stress and the Family by Randy Frost, RCC
- Neurofeedback by Lois Walker, RCC
- Sibling Position by Devana Weiss, RCC
- Emotional Neutrality by David Galloway
Sign up for our newsletter - it's free. Just e-mail your name and e-mail address to email@example.com.